Abolition of NSW Stamp Duty on the transfer of business assets and marketable securities
- 20 May 2016
From 1 July 2016, the following transactions will no longer be subject to stamp duty:
1. Transfer of marketable securities; and
2. Transfer of business assets.
What is a marketable security?
Marketable securities include:
- Shares in an unlisted NSW company.
- Units in an unlisted unit trust registered in NSW
What is a business asset?
Business assets include:
- Goodwill of a business that provided goods or services in NSW in the previous 12 months.
- Intellectual property that has was used in NSW in the previous 12 months.
- Statutory Licence or permission under Commonwealth Law, where the licence or permission was exercised in NSW in the previous 12 months.
This applies to transfers and/or transactions that occur on or after 1 July 2016.
If you require more information in relation to this article please contact your Walker Wayland representative.